German adhesive technologies and consumer goods giant Henkel has a long-term vision of becoming a climate-positive company. Here’s their #ClimateActionSG story here.
How did your organization first get started on the Climate Action/sustainability journey?
In November 2015, Henkel joined major cities, regions, companies and investors from around the world in signing the Paris Pledge for Action – a collective statement by non-state actors to ensure that the level of ambition set by the Paris agreement on climate change is met or exceeded.
Henkel also supports the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), by ensuring that our targets and initiatives reflect the priorities set out by the 17 SDGs. Additionally, Henkel has been participating in the Carbon Disclosure Project since 2004 to foster transparency in disclosure on the topics of climate change.
We are convinced that these initiatives promote a shared focus, empower collaborative action, and drive stronger progress towards sustainability.
What are Henkel’s Climate Action goals in 2018?
Henkel has developed the long-term vision of becoming a climate-positive company.
By 2030, we want to reduce our carbon footprint by 75 percent. We want to get 100 percent of the electricity we consume from renewable sources. By 2020, we want the production sites of our consumer business to contribute zero waste to landfill. By 2030, we will expand this target to cover all production sites, including our industrial business. By the end of 2016, 39 percent of our sites have achieved this ambition.
We also want to help our customers and consumers to save 50 million metric tons of CO2 by 2020.
With sustainability as an integral part of Henkel’s sourcing activities, our Global Supply Chain Hub in Singapore, in collaboration with our Global Supply Chain Headquarters in Amsterdam, has qualified all our strategic global and regional suppliers in Asia-Pacific under the Together for Sustainability (TfS) initiative. Moving forward, we plan to extend the program to the local suppliers. Henkel is a founding member of the TfS initiative, which was set up in 2011 to develop and implement a global audit program to assess and improve sustainability practices within the supply chains of the chemical industry.
Why is Climate Action important for Henkel?
Energy and climate is one of six focal areas of Henkel’s sustainability strategy to create more value – for our customers and consumers, for the communities we operate in, and for our company – while reducing our environmental footprint at the same time.
We want to strengthen our contributions to addressing major global challenges and maximize the impact we can achieve with our operations, brands and technologies.
What advice does Henkel have for other organisations embarking on their sustainability journey?
Sustainability is a universal challenge and, therefore, a shared task. It is essential to have a total value-chain perspective in promoting collaboration and dialogue with all stakeholders.
Henkel’s climate action pledge
• Henkel Sustainability Ambassadors to visit six Little Footprints Preschools to teach young children daily sustainable habits on World Water Day on 22 March 2018
• Henkel employees to adopt ‘Bring Your Own Cup’ initiative effective from 1 March 2018
• Henkel to launch campaign to encourage employees to set up home recycling corner
• Henkel to stop using plastic bottled water by June 2018
• Henkel employees to participate in NUS‒NParks Marine Debris Monitoring Programme in conjunction with Henkel Day in September 2018
• Henkel will switch to recyclable paper for office use
• Henkel in Singapore will continue to train and have all employees certified as Sustainability Ambassadors
• Henkel will continue to implement daily earth hour during lunch time from 12pm to 1pm
• Henkel will continue to use centralized waste bins
Henkel’s climate action goals for 2018
• Eliminate the use of 18,000 paper cups
• Eliminate the use of more than 5,000 plastic water bottles
• Savings of 13,000 plastic trash bags
Share your climate action story
We want to hear your climate action story! Share with us how you or your organisation is taking #climateactionsg this year and your stories could be featured on our blog.
Submit your stories here!
Also, visit https://www.mewr.gov.sg/organisation-pledge to make a pledge for your organisation!